Wednesday 19 September 2012

Who but W.B. Yeats


July 25, 2012




“Hey man, are you from Sweden?”

“Nah, I’m from Amsterdam, can’t you tell?”

“No way! ...I’m Eoin (Owen) and this is Kelly, what do you think about the underage drinking scene in Dublin?”

           This was the conversation that started after two teens approached me as I was sitting next to the W.B. Yeats monument in St. Stevens Green, a public park smack dab in the middle of Dublin city. It’s a gorgeous looking park at that, with lush stretches of manicured grass surrounding two different ponds, each lined with towering weeping willows and filled with countless ducks and swans. There’s even a local man who shares a deep, deep empathy for the swans. Yet, with all this beauty there remains a hidden, dirty side to the park, one that can be found in the same Memorial Garden where the Yeats monument is held.
           It isn’t much of a garden; mostly stone ledges surrounded by dense trees, perfect cover for rambunctious youths to take refuge. I began walking up the stone steps to the monument around 2pm. At the top, a posse of teens were gathered clutching pounders of Coors Light and puffing hand rolled cigarettes; vintage tees and dyed hair trended pretty hard. I hadn’t been sitting by myself for more than five minutes  when Eoin and Kelly came up and introduced themselves; they weren't what you would call shy.

“You know why we drink?” Said Eoin.

“I have no idea... why?” 

“It’s so we can get laid easier. You know? Kelly's DTF”

“Hah, is she?”

“Yeah she is, tell him.”

           Kelly had a sulky look in her eyes, that same look a little kid who knows they've done something wrong has. She went on to tell me stories how her vulnerability was a product of her unrestricted upbringing. I felt sympathetic, and at the same time pretty awkward because I had no legitimate response. That didn’t stop her from asking me half a dozen questions ether. She asked where I was from, why I was there and whether or not I was an architect (at the time I was carrying a cardboard poster tube with me). I could’ve went with an enticing Amsterdam designer back story, but decided against it.  Apparently Eoin hadn’t heard me explain I was actually from the states, because when he came stumbling back into the conversation, aztec pattern sweatshirt and all, he asked:

“Do you smoke weed?

“Not for a while man" I said.  "Plus I haven’t any euro. I don’t–”

“Hold on for just a second! Let me grab us some.”

           Eoin ran across to the other side of the garden and disappeared into the crowd of tipsy misfits. In a sudden turn of events, a Garda (copper) appeared over my left shoulder and begin shouting orders at the crowd, “Hey you with the bag, you! Fuckin’ stop, STOP!” The funny thing was almost everyone had a bag, and at the sound of the officer’s voice no one stopped.
           About half the teens left their bags on the ground when they bailed and the cop ransacked all of them. He threw out beer cans, water bottles and who knows what. I found the whole situation rather amusing and took a few pictures to document the fiasco. Kelly, still sitting next to me, told me this happens all the time and that it’d be wise to put away my camera. I told her I didn’t think the Garda would mind; after all I was only there to see the W.B Yeats Monument. 
           After everyone left Kelly gave me a kiss on the cheek (I somehow deserved it?) and we parted ways. I began reminiscing about my own underage drinking days, and how it was exactly the same, minus the dyed hair. I came to the conclusion that kids are kids wherever you go, always looking for an escape, a place to call their own, a causal hook up. Most times to overcome the cruelties of growing up we find ways distract ourselves and forget about reality completely. Booze can be, and often is that temporary fix. I just wonder what Yeats would’ve thought about this whole debacle. Actually, I do know:


A Drinking Song

Wine comes in at the mouth  
And love comes in at the eye;  
That’s all we shall know for truth  
Before we grow old and die.  
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you, and I sigh.

-William Butler Yeats












No comments:

Post a Comment