Sunday 12 August 2012

Return of The Scallywags: Part 1

July 20, 2012


           Flew solo on our last (Friday) night in Galway. The group was recovering from a pub-crawl I had opted out of the night before, and the only other person  considering going out with me was a Hungarian girl I met busking in the streets earlier that day. Though she was busking the night too, we managed to exchange favorite bands and she told me about her own, The Tits, an all girl group definitely worth a spin or two.
           I was adamant about hitting the town this particular night because Mikey and the Scallywags were playing down the street at Kelly’s bar. From previous posts you may remember hearing about past encounters with this busking band; I had literally run into them three separate times before this show, once at the Aran Islands, once around the Galway area and the third while I was walking into the Kebab House at 2am this past Sunday morning.
Kebab Pita
        I don’t remember much of what was said (for obvious reasons) during the last run-in, but I do remember nostalgically explaining to Fergus, their stand in - stand up bassist how I used to play the fiddle in middle and grade school; I told him I quit because I was the only guy in my practice group, plus it was considered un-cool at the time; I used to leave my school books at home so I could fit the violin case in my book bag while I skateboarded to school down a busy two lane street, naturally. He sympathized with me by giving me a fry and then asked if I would remove my hand from his shoulder. I obliged and we went our separate ways, little did he know our paths would soon cross again...   



No comments:

Post a Comment